Attitude Of Gratitude

This week's learning was very soothing for me.  It allowed for me to reflect and be grateful of the many blessings that Father has given to me, and the doors that have opened for me to pursue my dreams.

In President Monson's 1992 General Conference address, "An Attitude of Gratitude", he mentioned a popular refrain from the 1940's:

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative.
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mr. In-Between.

This is exactly how I try to live my life.  I have no time for negativity.  It's extremely draining, and does nothing for me.  In ,y future business, there's definitely not time for negativity.  I would drive business away if all I did was complain.  This attitude would drive business away.

I've learned the realness of business, and that there is a real need for my talent and skills in the painting area, especially trim work. In learning from the Harvard Business School article, it's absolutely critical to know the needs of your potential customer.  It's interesting the timing of this article, as I was at a crossroad of painting for free or charging.  I want to share my talent, but as I do, each time that I paint, I actually loose money.  My time, my supplies, my gas, and wear and tear on my car.  My trip to New Orleans is all on my dime. I have developed my skills on multiple projects, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity for experience, but it's time to be paid.

My goal for my business is to ultimately manage a team.  I want to be engaged in every aspect of my business, but also have flexibility to go and do as needed.  Take for example, I just returned home from going back to GA on Wednesday.  There was a family emergency and I was needed.  If I had a crew, they would continue to work as I took care of family matters.  I hadn't scheduled a painting job this week, and if I had, I would have had to rearrange my schedule in order to take care of family matters.

I've also had time to reflect on Randy Hawkins's journey.  He was a lifelong learner, and had opportunities to to expand his knowledge in the behind the scenes, in order to begin his own business.
What I really enjoyed, was the time that he decided he was frustrated and lonely, and he needed a business partner,  it was a marriage between the two.  At the moment. I am going solo, with a board of mentors behind me.  I know the time will come that I will need a partner in crime, and I will have time to decide who I will choose.

Again, this week's learning was very therapeutic for me.  It allowed me to reflect on my many blessings, why I want to be an entrepreneur, and allowed me to decided that I will be paid for my talent and skills,

Comments

Popular Posts