Risky Business

I've learned so much in the past couple of weeks since school has began.  I'm rapidly absorbing all that I'm reading and trying to apply the principles I'm learning into both my personal life and into the life of my painting company.

I need to begin by addressing why I didn't upload a blag entry from last week...I watched a video by Tom Kelly, "Treat Life As An Experiment," and he said be willing to fail. I felt I needed to go ahead a get a failure out of the way.  I put so much pressure on myself to succeed. I felt like I needed to experiment and fail on purpose and see how I handled it.  I have to admit, it was extremely hard for me to make the decision to not complete an assignment and to actually follow through with the commitment.  As the deadline came and went, I felt a relief that I actually followed through on a failure on purpose experiment.  What did I gain? Besides an F, I gained the confidence that I can fail and live to tell about it! I also felt way less stress going into this week's work, without the pressure to be prefect.  It really opened my eyes in my mental process of moving forward in both school and in life, but most importantly, beginning my own business!

My take from this week's lesson was by Jan Newman, when he gave some tips about the Risks in Business.  He said to "get some skin in the game" by putting your own money upfront into your business, if you have to, and to always return any money borrowed with interest. He also mentions to have others put skin in the game as well, even if its via time, lower wages, equity, etc.  By doing so, they will align to your vision of the future of your business.

My good friend stepped up to the plate and helped me plan an amazing wedding reception for my daughter back in November.  She gave me her all, and we both still relish in what we were actually able to pull off together.  She had skin in my game.  This week, I was able to paint trim in her house, before her mother-in-law comes next week.  I had skin in her game. It was a win-win for us both, as we each used our God-given talents to propel each other forward.

I'm so looking forward to heading to Kentucky next week, to visit and paint for my dear friends! I don't know what I'm more excited about: seeing them or doing some damage with my brushes!




Comments

Popular Posts